With our work on the fence coming to a close around mid June, we realized that we needed to begin in earnest on the new 360 square foot storage building. If we would be able to use Dad’s time off work around the 4th of July to put the structure under roof, we now had only 3 short weeks to complete the foundation. One of those weeks we would be hosting a speaker from Colorado. We had yet to begin the excavation (making a flat place in West Virginia is always a big job), dig the footers, pour concrete, and get the block up and lumber delivered, all involving the schedules of other people, some of whom were likely to be booked already. Was it possible?
We were happy to find that our friend’s backhoe would be available! On June 15th we picked it up but were unable to begin digging until the following day. Surprisingly, in one day’s work we accomplished the excavation and dug most of the footers. Although much could have gone wrong, things went very smoothly. Another friend was even able to lend us his transit, making it easy to verify correct elevations.
Monday and Tuesday we finished digging the footers, double checking their exact location, trimming the sides, and driving the pins.Our concrete contractor’s schedule was full, but since our job was so small, he finally agreed to fit us in. Wednesday morning the 20th we put gravel in the holes and that afternoon the concrete was poured! We were concerned that the activity of the concrete truck and workers on that day might conflict with that of the carpet people (another project). To our amazement the carpet people called just in time to move their appointment one day later!We did not have enough block left over from other projects to finish this one, and were expecting to have to order the block. But to our surprise and delight, a neighbor offered to give us some extra block that he didn’t need! Donald went to see them that same day, found that they were exactly what we needed, and brought them home. That evening we cut one more tree that we decided was too close to the new building. The next day, Thursday the 21st, we thought the block layer was going to look at the job. Actually, he DID the job! In a short amount of time he had all 52 block laid neatly in ten piers, simply using mortar that was left over from a bigger assignment. His schedule was packed tight, but that afternoon a window of opportunity had opened for him, probably the only one in a long time. If we had waited one more day to cut the tree, it would have been too late. It had fallen across where two of the piers now stood.Friday the 22nd Dad and Mom left for Indianapolis Indiana. It was hard to believe all that God had put together in a single week! We were now ready to focus on a week of ministry with our dear friends from
Colorado. All things are possible!