The High Places of the Earth, Part II

Almost a year ago was the post: The High Places of the Earth, Part I. In it I shared that as we follow God (giving Him the first part of our time each week) He leads us along the high places of the earth where we can be most useful and influencial. For me, visiting Yu Shan (Jade Mountain) National Park was a surprising way for God to apply that verse literally.

Taiwan has many peaks near or over 10,000 feet (3,000 meters)

Last year we got to see Nanan Waterfall and part of the Walami Trail. Since that time interest has grown and I started looking into what it would take to climb Yu Shan Main Peak. About this time last year God slowly but completely healed my foot frown an ingrown toenail enabling me to start and maintain a jogging routine. Mountain-climbing can be more a test of endurance than strength so another prerequisite set by Dr. Chen was to climb some other peaks first. Another hurdle is the registration process. At the trail head The Lord had another surprise which took care of both of these things: the invitation came from a respected teacher here at the school named Po Hau to take a practice climb at Da Wu Shan, the mountain near us which reaches about 3000 meters.

Po Hao\'s brother made good climbing company
This is what you would call a mountainside!There were many good ropes and laddersThe next morning our guide took us above the clouds just in time for the sunrise6:30amIt was a memory edged with goldAt the topAt the top--glad to represent those families and schools that I representAt the top--glad to represent those families and schools that I representAt the topThe last sight to see: the 1000-year old tree, a red cypressIcicles were the most amazing sight of the decent for the brothersOn the way downOn the way downOn the way downOn the way back downInspiration for a chalk-talk!SunriseSunrise
Then two weeks ago he extended another surprise invitation: Would you like to climb Yu Shan Main Peak with some other teachers and I? Thanks to him, I was able to prepare wisely. I feel it doesn’t even matter if I make it to the top of Jade Mountain. I’ve done my best so far and will continue to do my best in all areas by God’s grace. That’s fulfillling. A lesson I’m learning that stands out is that preparation and accomplishment are reciprocal. Because of a goal set far ahead, the practice is worth it but also because of the commitment exercised in practice, the goal accomplished is sweet to the soul.

“If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it” (Isaiah 58:13-14).

1. jonathan February 19, 2009 at 4:02 am #

great pics Donald

2. Daniel February 19, 2009 at 7:29 am #

How absolutely incredible! Those are stunning photos, Donald. They really get across how strenuous and demanding, yet thrilling and rewarding a climb that must have been. And I mean, CLIMB! That’s no Kansas mole-hill!

3. Robert Staddon February 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm #

Amazing, Donald! Beautiful pictures! What an experience. “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!” Isaiah 52:7

4. Crystal February 20, 2009 at 7:02 am #

Wow, those are really neat photos. Especially of the ones of the trees *above* the clouds!

5. Joshua February 21, 2009 at 5:13 pm #

WOW! Truly a once in a lifetime experience you were able to have twice over – a blessing indeed. Thank you for whetting my appetite 🙂 .

I appreciate what you said, “that preparation and accomplishment are reciprocal.” Very profound and yet very true.

6. James February 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm #

Absolutely awesome! I just now got to look at the pictures and… it is just amazing. It’s hard to believe that that expolorer-looking person in many of the pictres is actually my brother Donald! I’m glad you were able to take advantage of such a remarkable opportunity.

The pictures of the sunrise/set above the clouds is simply breathtaking, even in the pictures. May you experience the same joy and exhileration in conquering the spiritual mountains God has destined you to climb!

7. Dad and Mom March 4, 2009 at 8:36 pm #

We are thrilled that you are able to enjoy opportunities to experience God’s creation like this in your youth.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. StaddonFamily.com » Blog Archive » Change of Plans - May 28, 2009

[…] next Saturday as a make-up day) and my plan was to join other Nan Jung teachers, hiking beautiful Bei Da Wu Mountain. Due to an accident however, and rain predicted in the weather, it didn’t work out. Instead […]