A Little Christmas Seasoning

This morning we read Psalm 133 about the beauty of brethren dwelling together in unity. At breakfast we all talked about what has helped us in our efforts to be best friends.

Michael:
One thing that has helped me build good relationships with my brothers and sister is realizing that it is my fault if I feel tension because nothing can take away my joy when it is coming from the Lord. Hiking together at Hocking Hills!Tension is a signal that I need to examine myself. Once, someone was talking about a fantastic revelation from God that I already knew. I started judging them and wondering why thy thought that was so new and profound. So I prayed. God seemed to say, “Michael, you could afford to be reminded of that.” My attitude began to change and I was glad they had discovered that truth and the tension left.

Jonathan:Jonathan and I on our Texas Adventure!
Just knowing that  my brothers and Esther are trying to be friends really helps us feel like friends. I know we all want to accept and like each other. A big thing is being glad to see each other after a time of separation. Another thing is coming to the rescue for each other. Once we were all talking and I said something really embarrassing. Instead of saying, “”Oh Jonathan!” one of my brothers said something that covered it up and made it look like a joke. It saved me from a embarrassing moment!

Enjoying the beach togetherDavid:
I like my siblings because they are fun to be around. A big part of it is yielding rights instead of being selfish. I appreciate how when I tell them how excited I am about something (like the fact that its snowing) they are excited too instead of ignoring me. Their example makes me want to yield my rights and be fun to be around too.

Donald:
A  key of sibling harmony is to not give up when you are struggling in your relationships. Expect imperfections and The youngest and the oldest at the Bible Beebe willing to communicate to resolve misunderstandings. Perfection is a long term project. When we get up late (like this morning) it seems like the day is messed up already. In this situation, the first step was to confess that I didn’t get up when I first woke up. Then I decided to leave it in God’s control and start doing what needed done. Moving forward instead of dwelling on the fact that we had messed up helped me to keep the situation from getting in-between me and others.

Esther:
Becoming familiar with the love languages has helped me to channel God’s love to my brothers, just like I would to build any other friendship. My brothers have often done this for me. Donald helps me with my housework very often, Jonathan and I send each other chat messages even if we are sitting on computers next toClimbing a tree together in 2006 each other in the same room (It’s just fun, that’s all), David and I played a game in the car on the way home from Indianapolis yesterday. While pealing apples or washing dishes, Daniel and I have had deep discussions on debatable things we’ve heard. Robert is so willing to bail me out if I’m in a pinch (like when I thought I had bought a plane ticket home and I really hadn’t, he used his bonus miles to buy me one!). Gifts, words of encouragement, physical touch, quality time together, and acts of service are the most common ways of communicating love.

Serving together and loving it!A theme that runs through all of these is the important realization that as a Christian family we are all on the same side of the struggle. Lots of you are reading this and maybe it’s triggered an idea on what has built family unity in your home. Leaving a comment about your thought would be very much appreciated! May the Lord bless you all with the selfless joy of the Christmas Season today and all through the year!

1. Donald December 14, 2010 at 9:37 am #

That is a treasure chest of insights–and pictures!

2. Esther Morrison December 14, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

I think what helps me most is to think of the fact that everything others do to me that bothers me are actually rooted in the same attitudes I have towards them sometimes. *ouch* Every time i feel like correcting someone or complaining about them, it helps if I ask myself “Do I ever…? Is this the same attitude I am having?” This is a really encouraging post! Thanks for posting it!

3. Heidi Jenkins December 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

Thank you for posting this, Esther! I am the second oldest of 8 children, and just like your family, we struggle sometimes with our relationships with one another. I appreciate learning from a godly Christian family new ways on how to deepen our own family relationships.
    Thank you for the godly example of a Christian family that you represent through this blog. May the Lord richly bless your family this Christmas, as you continue to lift Him up as King of your life. – Heidi

4. Hannah Burnett December 15, 2010 at 8:36 pm #

Lots of wisdom in those words! A big eye-opener for me was when I realized that I couldn’t force my siblings to change their faults. My job was to model the change that I wanted to see in them, in MYSELF! This is a principle found in Matthew 7 – get the beam out of your own eye, then you will be able to help your brother with the speck in his.

Thanks for sharing! I’ll make sure my siblings read it…. ;).

5. Ferraro Family December 16, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

Thanks for sharing about sibling relationships and what God has taught you about making each other best friends. There is so much biblical wisdom written here. It gives us a lot to think about. We are looking forward to see how God will work as we seek to understand each other and yield our rights to God. We enjoyed seeing you last week. Merry Christmas to all of you!

6. Esther December 17, 2010 at 10:23 am #

So good to hear from you all! Esther and Hannah, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head when you mentioned examining ourselves! May the Lord bless us with the humility to respond that way. Thank you for commenting!

7. Daniel Staddon December 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

How special! I’m so glad God let me be in this wonderful family. Merry Christmas everybody!

8. Barbara December 19, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

Thank you for sharing this Esther! It is so true. It seems that my siblings seem to pick up my habits -only worse; and I find it much easier to see their problems over mine. When I get myself right with the Lord, the tension with my siblings goes away. Another thing that helps me is to not take hurtful words seriously and to return blessing instead. This puts the ball back in my court, and takes the pressure off of them.

9. Crystal December 21, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Thanks for sharing the great insights. There are soo many things I wish I had realized when I was younger. But one thing I think that helps is to try and view things from the other’s perspective and put myself in their shoes.