A Real Field

Pretty, ain't it?Have you ever never mowed your lawn? Well, this year was the first time for us. No, it wasn’t intentional; it was just that our lawn mower kept breaking down and has thus been in the shop all summer. Of course we keep the grass around our house cut really nice (that is Jonathan’s job!) but as for the rest of the seven acres, we let it grow wild!

I don't know what kind, but it's a beetleIf you ask me, I think it is kind of nice to have a “real” field. It’s beautiful to see the grass waving back and forth as the wind blows down the valley. The color is simply spectacular too. When the late afternoon sun streams over the grass, the hillside glows with golden light. The tall grass also provides a great habitat for countless insects and wild flowers, which, in my opinion, are great photographic subjects. Of course, if you ever have to wade through it in the morning before the sun has time to dry up the dew, then there’s no way to keep from getting completely soaked. But what’s wrong with that?!

Golden Rod; bees really like this stuffGrass turns goldenA typical top to each grass stalk

We are thankful for the backyard arboretum but we are still praying that the mower will be fixed soon. “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” I Thessalonians 5:18.

The sun shinging through a fuzzy foxtail

1. Esther September 20, 2007 at 6:24 am #

Nice shots James! The picture of the Golden Rod reminds of a good thing that Michael mentioned in letting the hillside grow. Evidently it has allowed different plants to mature to the point of being beneficial to the bees. An unexpected blessing!

2. Jenny September 20, 2007 at 6:46 am #

That first picture reminds me of the verses in Matthew 9:37-38 that says “…The harvest truly is plentious, but the laborers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth laborers into his harvest.
    We are getting ready to go into the Willow Springs elementry school in our area to start our weekly Good News Club. So seeing those pictures reminded me of these verses and just how great the need is for us to be out sharing the truth in love! Stunning shots James!

3. Daniel September 20, 2007 at 9:17 am #

It has been a little strange looking outside and seeing a hillside of tall, wavy grass, but as you said – “what’s wrong with that!?” I think it has enhanced the wildness and wonderfulness of our West Virginia estate! 🙂

4. Chad September 20, 2007 at 7:42 pm #

Great creativity in shooting the pics james, Jesus himself told us to consider the grass of the field and the things of nature to tugg us God-ward. I can imgagine that it’s beginning to really look beautful there with all the color change. God bless you, Staddons.

Chad

5. Donald September 21, 2007 at 2:43 am #

It’s impressive how well art and photography can communicate the truth James! Your message hit home because it happens I am having to soak my foot just now as a precaution for tomorrow’s vacation instead of joining in with the game of ultimate frisbee with the others. Truly in each situation giving God thanks enables us to see the beauty of His bigger plan.

6. James September 21, 2007 at 7:21 am #

I wonder how many of you said “no” to the picture with “Pretty, aint it?” under it. 🙂 I kind of like old dead trees; they are uniqe and different I guess.

And by the way, the beetle on the golden rod isn’t a honey bee. Its a firefly of the family Lampyridae. We call them lightning-bugs.

7. Robert Staddon September 21, 2007 at 8:45 pm #

Beautiful photography!

8. Joshua September 22, 2007 at 12:37 pm #

James – I enjoyed the photos and the ‘lemonade made out of a lemon situation.’ We will pray the Kubota is fixed soon!

I think that first bug is a Lygus (there are 34 specific species in the USA). From the bug book I have infront of me, it actually looks like the Pale Legume Bug species. If that is so, they’re not very garden friendly. So the next time you see one, take the picture and then squish it! 🙂