A Sound Foundation

Ever since I sent in my application for Sound Foundations back in January, I had been earnestly looking forward to and preparing for my time there. However, a month or so before it started I was notified that they were having a severe shortage of applicants, even to the point that it could have possibly been cancelled! After getting a confirmation from the Lord that it was His will for me to go, I began praying that He would provide enough attendees for Sound Foundations to be hosted this year. I was so relieved when I received the confirmation reply that announced it would be held and that I had been accepted!

However, I was aware that my roommate and team mates would play a major role in my time and experience there, and all the teaching and planning could be for naught if God did not prepare our hearts to be an encouragement to each other. Therefore I was praying that God would go ahead of me and put just the right people on our team. Once again he blessed me with a clear answer to prayer! My roommate, Kenton Lanier, was a very Godly, mature young man. We had some great evening discussions (he had won a prize of Reesee’s Cups and Kit Kats that didn’t stay in their bag long – 🙂 ) and we were able to work together on assignments really well which made things a lot easier. I was also grateful to the Lord for our mature team–things went so much better without a lot of foolish distractions.

Many classes were held throughout the three weeks, including music theory, music history, music evaluation, learning the basics of orchestration and conducting, and a special class by Loren Elms on how to write lyrics and a cooresponding melody. Many of the students said their favorite class was Choral Training, probably because of the fabulous conductor we had: Mr. Clark. He knew how to make singing fun! He even worked it out so that the choir was able to sing a few of our numbers at Colonial Hills Baptist Church.

Even though I enjoyed all of these different topics, I think my two favorite classes were the one on Hymn Improvisation and the Master Class. They both inspired me to greater heights of achievement on the piano as well as providing insights and tips on how to do so. I look forward to applying what I learned in these classes!

I am so grateful I was able to attend Sound Foundations this year. I learned a great deal, but most importantly a sound foundation in the Biblical principles of music was layed from which I will be free to launch future musical adventures!

1. Mrs. Wilkes July 5, 2007 at 4:57 pm #

That was an inspiring post. I was grateful to hear the Lord gave you a roommate whom you could study and discuss concepts with during your time there. May the Lord bless you with many opportunities to use the training you received.

2. Jenny July 6, 2007 at 9:11 am #

Praise the Lord it went so well! You did an amazingly good job Daniel in summing up the three weeks 🙂 It’s incredible how much they can present to you in that amount of time! Now the key is applying it as you said.
    I can’t wait to hear and see what you will do with the teaching you have received. May God be honored in all that you do!

3. Joshua July 9, 2007 at 2:34 pm #

Daniel! Congratulations on making it through the music boot camp! I look forward to hearing of your experience in the master class. Was it with Dr. Skylar? With where your piano appears to be going, I am not surprised that the hymn improvosation was a hi-light. I’ll venture there may be a Hymn Improvosation course on the horizon that you will go through. Keep up the great work – Singcerely yours – Joshua

4. Daniel July 9, 2007 at 3:46 pm #

Actually, Josh, Miss Ruth Mardrosian (?) taught the Master Classes. I was kinda relieved. 🙂 She was quite a bit more free and relaxed than what I have heard of Mr. Skylar. This made it much easier to play my best without worrying about messing up. It went well! When I told her Mom was my teacher, she was very interested, and told me to make sure to compliment her on her teaching. The aspect she focused on for my piece was relaxing and enjoying playing. She taught several relaxation techniques that I can’t wait to apply to several other songs that I have noticed need it as well!

5. Robert July 10, 2007 at 11:36 pm #

Daniel, I’m getting curious about those relaxing techniques. My birthday gift had a lot of ideas for relaxing but I’m not sure that any of them would work with my piano playing. 🙂 Fill me in when I come home!

6. Crystal Thompson July 15, 2007 at 2:05 pm #

Hey Daniel,
    It was neat to go to the same Sound Foundations. May the Lord bless you as you put to use the things you learned there.

7. Amanda Chioda April 13, 2008 at 2:03 pm #

Hey Daniel….
    I know that it’s been almost a year since Sound Foundations, and you probably don’t even remember me, but I guess you would know me better now as Esther’s roommate at CF!E. Like Crystal Thompson said, It was pretty cool to go to the same S.F. as you. It was also really neat to hear what you had to say about it, and how it was even an answer to prayer for you to get to go. Even though it was a short amount of time, God really blessed it, and I’m sure it has benefited you as much(if not more) than it has benefited me. 😉 God bless you and your piano skills as you continue to glorify Him through your talent. ~Amanda C.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. StaddonFamily.com » Blog Archive » God’s Gift of Music - September 4, 2007

[…] of the outstanding principles I learned while going through Sound Foundations was that music will draw you towards its source. Music which portrays the character of God […]