Taking the Challenge!

What! A memory verse challenge? That’s right, they have that every January! Oops. We realized we were a week late but David and I decided to jump in anyway and take the challenge to memorize HebrewsReady to tackle it! 12. There are 29 verses in the chapter so we hurried to catch up. Our goal was to memorize the verse of the day in the morning and quote to each other in the evenings. When it didn’t work out to quote it too each other in the evenings we made time for it the next morning or worked on it at the same time as canning pumpkin, fixing hair (that was me) or riding in the car. (You should see David’sDavid's memomery verses! 001 paper! Or what’s left of it!) This has been a stretch for us both but in a good way. There is nothing more rewarding than meditating on scripture because you know God in a deeper way and plus if you meditate on it day and night, and do what is written in it, you will be prosperous and successful! (See Joshua 1:8). David and I have found it getting harder as we come down to the final few verses and would like to take this opportunity to encourage anyone else who has taken this challenge not to give up! It is worth the time. Finish strong. And if you didn’t know about it, why not make it your February challenge?

The living the journey website offers some outstandingDavid's memomery verses! 002 commentary on the passage if you want to check it out. I’d also encourage anyone who would David's memomery verses! 003be interested in a memory verse aid to sign up for memverse. This is also a great tool for reviewing scriptures that you want to keep in your heart!

“Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.” Psalm 119:11

1. Donald January 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

There is nothing like daily, purposeful pondering of God’s letter to us. After that, I heartily recommend MemVerse and The Challenge as well Esther! You and David have been very faithful.

2. Denise January 27, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Kudos to Esther and her brother for their attempt to memorize scripture. Does memorization equal purposeful pondering? I really don’t know because they have yet to share what they have learned. What I do know is that your challenge has produced in me a desire to read and an attempt to study Hebrews 12. I am only on the first two verses . . . and these are the themes I’ve found:

Lay aside every weight–avoid being weighed down by worldly duties and commitments; don’t let the little things distract you from the Lord. But here is my question: If one gives their time to the Lord and His people, and puts forth efforts for worthy causes are their efforts weights? I read that even worthy causes can be weights. When and why? I really disagree on this.

“And the sin which doth so easily best us” = Lay aside the sin that is always so conveniently close to us.

“Run with patience the race that is set before us”–Patience does not refer to sitting around and waiting for something to happen. It is endurance, perseverance and the ability to finish what has been begun. State a course and finish. Life is a challenge on earth. There are races, then there are Christian races. In an earthly race there can be but one winner. In the Christian race if all run well, then all will win.

3. James January 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

That’s amazing; I began the challenge a week late too! It’s been a little difficult learning more than 7 verses a week, so thank you for your exhortation to finish strong. O how love I Thy Law! it is my meditation all the day.

4. Donald January 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Another amazing way the Lord encouraged us was when Pastor Epling chose Hebrews 12 as the topic for his evening message. He pointed out that it followed Hebrews 11, the faith chapter, so that we would be challenged to continue in the same type of faith as all the “Heroes of Faith”. We may feel small and incompetent but our faith can be the same if we fix our eyes on Christ.
    For anyone asking Denise’s question, yes, if you think about it, my own righteousness, by my own efforts to keep the law/love others/do good, can of course hinder me from pursuing and finding Christ’s righteousness. He is the only One that could fulfill the law mentioned later in the chapter. BUT He is willing to give us His righteousness and so be “the author and finisher of our faith”. This is one of the most brilliant themes in Hebrews.
    The part about patience has meant a lot to me too. You’re right, the word (in Greek) means to have endurance. So in the context of running a race, we would say “Pace yourself–because this isn’t a mere hundred-meter dash! We are in this race for the long haul.”
    We’ll continue to cheer each other on! And by the way, Esther and David, today is the 31st! Have you reached the finish line?

5. Daniel Staddon February 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

Congratulations, David and Esther! Keep up the good work guys!

6. Matthew February 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Congratulations! That’s a lot of work and dedication!

7. Esther and Mom February 4, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Praise the Lord! We finished on time and Mom checked us out the night of the 31st. This week I have enjoyed just being able to quote it and think about it while I do things. One of my favorite times was when I was thinking about things of no profit when God brought the verse to mind and said: “Esther, this is a weight.” It was so thrilling to feel His grace and power enable me to respond “Then I lay it aside!” and get my mind back on Him. His chastening is definitely for our profit that we might be partakers of His holiness! I love being in subjection to Him!

I’ve just been tarrying here on this passage but David has kept right on memorizing new scripture this week! It is great preparation for the Bible Bee that he is thinking about participating in this year. 🙂 Please join me in praying that the verses would come easily for him.

8. Liz C. February 14, 2011 at 9:57 am #

I’ve been following your blog for a about six months, but this is the first time I’ve commented. I wanted to say thank you for sharing your love for the Lord Jesus and encouraging others through your posts. I especially wanted to say Thank You for posting about memverse.com. Although I didn’t join in on the Hebrews 12 challenge, I did join the website and have found it to be so helpful in my daily scripture memorization. I have also given the website to several friends and family members. Thanks for sharing about it and may God richly bless you through memorizing and meditating on God’s Word!

9. Jen Jones Lamberjack March 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

Hello Esther! I’ve also been following your blog. Isn’t it a fantastic feeling and gift from God that while writing a blog we are sharing his love with others and not even know it!?

Thanks for posting about Memverse. What a great tool to help put the Word of God in our minds and hearts!

Just wondering, although you may have no clue, when another Challenge will start? How did you join the Living the Journey Group on Memverse?

Sister in Christ, Jen