Back To The National Bible Bee

The first ever national Bible Bee was first rate–and the second national Bible Bee was, well, second-to-none!

P1070168 2

As Daniel said last year, the most important thing to remember during a competition is God’s sovereignty and the value of the relationships He gives us with others who love His Word. This year we were grateful to God for the opportunity to return to the Bible Bee, follow up on wonderful relationships from last year and forge new ones as we converged in Chicago at the Marriott Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center. Because this was located thirty minutes from where Robert, James and Daniel work and because Daniel had been invited back as a guest speaker, all ten of us made special arrangements to be there.

P1070102 We volunteered to assist with registration, judging, greeting, and escorting the contestants to their testing rooms. It was a joy to serve with some of the IBLP staff who had also volunteered to help with these duties. In addition to IBLP there is broadening support for the Bible Bee among such organizations as Awanas, ICR and Tyndale House.

Throughout the weekend our appreciation of God’s Word was heightened by the commitment we saw in the lives of the contestants and the families that supported them. I remember that from the very first elimination in the finals the audience would give an extended standing ovation to every single student as they finished. Praise God for such a gathering of people! We were greatly encouraged. Until next year’s Bible Bee, may the Lord continue to bless each of us with love for Him and a daily commitment to His living, lasting Word.

1. Daniel Staddon November 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

What a thrilling time! I don’t think I’ll ever forget the smiles of those precious 7 to 10-year olds as they would flawlessly recite to me their favorite memory verses. Priceless! God is doing powerful things in the lives of each one of these contestants, and their enthusiasm for Scripture is contagious. They truly inspired me last weekend!

2. Michael November 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

What a full, rich weekend! I thought I was going to have some time to do some of my own things, but meditating on the Scriptures as the contestants recited them was so much fun I just set it all aside and listened. It was great to be with you Daniel, James, and Robert, and Esther!

3. James November 17, 2010 at 6:28 am #

It was great fun getting to know new families; I continue to be amazed at how many homeschool folks have started or are directly involved in home businesses or small ministries! These gatherings are incredible, yet rare; it was quite a privilege to be involved in what little I was able to behind the scenes at this year’s Bible Bee.

4. Amanda November 18, 2010 at 6:00 am #

Sounds like an amazing time! How exciting that your whole family could be together!!

5. Crystal November 23, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

When do they start things for the local level – or however it works (for next year)? I’m pretty sure folks at church would be interested in the Bible Bee.

6. Loy Kho November 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Thank you for putting this Indonesian girl picture here. She lives here longer than in her birthplace that she can’t speak Indonesian fluently anymore 🙂 It’s an honor to know your family. What a privilege and blessing to get your parenting insight! Praise the Lord for meeting you. Hope to see you again next year.

7. The Bryant Family November 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm #

Our family watched the Bible Bee finals live this year, and were incredibly blessed to watch the recitations. It was hard to believe how these young people could recite so much Scripture, word-perfect! Congratulations to your family on last year’s winner. What a privilege to be a part of the Bible Bee! We hope to participate next year.
    The Bryants