Home Alone!

Hurrah! Everyone’s gone! Think of all the time I’ll have! No interruptions! As many fish sticks as I like! No one I have to share dessert with! No stacks of used cups by the fridge! Won’t this be great…

The whole house changed when David, Jonathan, Esther, and Michael left to help with OEI Virginia, leaving only Dad, Mom, and I at home. But being an “only child” has not turned out as I expected it to. What fun is dessert without a dispute on how to divide it equally with Jonathan and David? How different the dinner table feels with only the three of us huddled at one end. I’ve caught up some on my studies, but how I miss the interruptions! The house is so quiet, and there is nothing like silence to sharpen the cruelty of loneliness. The ripple of Esther’s cheerful, contagious laugh…no more. Jonathan to talk with as we get ready for bed at night…no more. David faithfully checking me out on my verses each evening…no more. Michael’s hearty, wholesome breakfasts to wake up to…no more.

How I long for their return! How insignificant the small things I complained about before now seem!

Don’t take your family relationships for granted. Take the time to appreciate those who are around you!

1. Daniel Staddon July 22, 2009 at 8:13 pm #

The last few days have made me so grateful that the Lord will never leave me, nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5-6). I have been reminded anew to be thankful for Him and Mom and Dad, and treasure the time I have with them!

2. James July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm #

Very well put, Daniel. You put into words how I feel here at HQ sometimes. I miss you all soo much. 🙁 Praise the Lord for vacations like the one coming up in less than two weeks!!!

3. Allen P. July 23, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

How sad! But then think how much they will miss you when you move up here. I hear reports that Kezia ask when you will be coming every day. And James assures me that you are very fun! So this time without your family may be a way for you to better appreciate how they will miss you when you are here!

God bless!

4. Joshua July 24, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

LOL! I enjoyed the post Daniel and do understand!

We sure enjoyed having four of your siblings with us the past week. They were a huge blessing and such an important part of Operation Eternal Impact VA. Looking forward to seeing you all in a couple short weeks for the FEW conference!

5. Pastor Epling July 25, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

Going from having people around you all the time to being almost alone can be a huge change. The difference is we are never truly alone for Jesus walks with us at all time. I know what it’s like to miss lots of people talking. That’s why I end up talking to the cat on some occasions. Don’t worry I’m sure you’ll make it until they return.

6. Donald August 10, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

Yes that does sound like a big change of perspective for you. It’s great to be home now! May we find the best in each season of life.

7. Mom August 11, 2009 at 9:23 am #

It was great when it was just the three of us, but it is great with all 10 of us this week! “… in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content!”
    Boredom is not a problem around here!

8. Amanda August 17, 2009 at 6:50 am #

That’s a perspective I don’t usually think about until it’s too late and I AM alone. Then, like you, I miss everyone too much, and I’m thankful for all the little bumps and interruptions of family life – we are SOOO blessed!!