Incredible Example of a Giver

I was in serious trouble! I had promised to bring back dinner from a certain restaurant for a friend who was busy at work. Unfortunately, by the time I was finished enjoying my own dinner, the restaurant had closed and I was unable to fulfill my promise. It was a terrible feeling!

A while later on I apologetically called my friend up. I was dreading having to share my mistake. But, to my utter surprise, someone had already completely redeemed the situation and delivered dinner to them in my name! What a relief! It was a great feeling.

I like MikeThe benevolent soul who had heroically saved the day was none other than Mike Kelly. Actually, though, this kind of thing is pretty normal for Mike. Whether it’s surprising his coworkers with a box of donuts, making extra efforts to help his boss be successful, going out of his way to pick up someone stranded at the airport, or generously giving certain people a certain beverage from a certain location, Mike is always ready to sacrifice his personal time, money, and energy to encourage those around him. That’s what it means to be a giver.

There seems to be two kinds of people that you come across in life: “givers” and “takers”. Givers sacrifice their own resources to invest in the lives of others. Takers selfishly attend to their own needs and thus zap energy from everyone else.

“Look not every man on his own things,
but every man also on the things of others.”

Philippians 2:4

1. Chris Kelly June 24, 2008 at 5:04 pm #

He makes a Nice Bro, too!!!!

2. James June 24, 2008 at 8:26 pm #

I testify this to be absolutely true from first hand experience, Robert! More than once, I have been the recipient of Michael’s giving spirit. He is an energy giver in many other ways too; I think the color cordination was his idea. 🙂

3. Esther June 25, 2008 at 7:50 am #

Ha ha ha ha! What a funny picture! The post reminded me of Prov. 17:17 A Romanian friend once sent me that verse translated from her Romanian Bible. It reads: “A friend loves at all times and in trouble becomes like a brother.”

4. Daniel June 26, 2008 at 4:42 am #

Hilarious! How wonderful it is to know “givers” – there is a world of difference between them and “takers.” Givers build each other up!

5. Joshua June 26, 2008 at 4:22 pm #

Sounds like a real energy giver! Although I must admit that the only real close interaction I’ve had with Mike was when he jumped out of the freezer room within the old morgue at NTC 🙂 .

But from the pictures and account above, he knows how to make meaningful memories! An excellent reminder of the impact doing a seemingly small deed for another can have(Matt. 10:42).

6. Michael Staddon June 29, 2008 at 2:31 pm #

I know that I tend to want to go good to those who have freely done good to me. You reap what you sow. God bless Mike Kelly!