Are you Prepared?

One nation ... are we under God?November 7, 2008 may very well be the most important date in United States history. The presidential election is fast approaching. Are you prepared? Candidates in both the Republican and Democratic parties have poured time, money, and effort into their campaigns for months, if not years. But time and money do not decide the victory. This decision rests on the shoulders of voting US citizens; namely, you and me.

Perhaps, the result of the November ’08 election pivots on the Republican primaries earlier in the year. If a moderate Republican is nominated as the party’s presidential nominee, who would conservatives vote for? The choice would be either to vote for the “lesser of two evils” or hope to form a 3rd, Independent party. Whether a 3rd party would split the Republican votes and seal Democratic victory, or whether it would draw enough votes from both Dems and Reps to make a winning majority, is unknown and only time will reveal. But what we do know is that if the Republicans are going to win, they have to win together. “And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand” Mark 3:25.

So, how do we keep this from happening? First and foremost we must, as individuals, understand the issues and wholeheartedly support the one who has the capability of leading America to both moral and economic success. The issues are numerous, but a quick look at how a candidate stands on Scriptural issues, such as marriage and sanctity of life, will enable us to perceive his moral condition, and ultimately his leadership abilities. “Wisdom resteth in the heart of him that hath understanding: but that which is in the midst of fools is made known. Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people” Proverbs 14:32-33.

Having said thus, let us review the most influential candidates running on the Republican ticket by giving their former occupation, present office, embraced religion, and current stand on abortion, a delicate, but imperative moral issue:

Sam BrownbackSam Brownback – Lawyer and senator from Kansas. Roman Catholic. “When we overturn Roe v. Wade, that will have a magnifying effect on the world.”

Rudolph GiulianiRudy Giuliani – Lawyer. Also Roman Catholic. “I ultimately do believe in a woman’s right of choice, but I think that there are ways in which we can reduce abortions.”

Mike HuckabeeMike Huckabee – Businessman and senator from Arkansas. A former Baptist minister. “I’m pro-life because I believe life begins at conception, and I believe that we should do everything possible to protect that life because it is the centerpiece of what makes us unique as an American people.”

John McCainJohn McCain – Military officer and senator from Arizona. Baptist, formerly Episcopal. “I’d love to see a point where it is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary. But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade…”

Ron PaulRon Paul – Medical doctor and senator from Texas. Protestant. “Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided, but not because the Supreme Court presumed to legalize abortion rather than ban it. Roe was wrongly decided because abortion simply is not a constitutional issue.”

Mitt RomneyMitt Romney – Businessman. Mormon. “I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country.”

Abortion is not the only concern. I challenge you to look into the issues, prepare to vote, and understand the importance of nominating a conservative Republican. Who will you vote for in the primaries? What issues concern you most? Will the formation of a 3rd party succeed or divide? Comment your answers, your remarks, your ideas; I will be back to present more details on this exciting, essential, and world-effecting subject! “In the multitude of people is the king’s honour: but in the want of people is the destruction of the prince” Proverbs 14:28.

1. Robert October 10, 2007 at 10:14 pm #

Thanks for the good thoughts and quick rundown of the Republican candidates, James. That was very helpful!

Let’s not forget Fred Thompson! I’m sitting here beside Matt Baldwin from Tennessee and he’s a big Fred supporter. Fred08.com says that that he supports “using the Presidency to encourage policies that promote a culture of life, strengthen the institution of marriage and traditional families, and advance freedom of religion.”

2. C Moore October 11, 2007 at 12:19 pm #

I like Ron Paul’s argument because it takes the moral question out of this entire fight. He is stating that the right to decide if abortion should be banned or legal is not a decision the Federal Government is allowed to make under the constitution. Roe vs. Wade should never have gone to the supreme court. It is social and moral issues like abortion that the 9th and 10th amendments were created by our forefathers. That in these matters the States or The People themselves reserve the right to decide. We cannot have blanket federal policies deciding how every American is going to live their life. Abortion should be decided by the States and the Counties of America. Personally though you will see that he is very much Pro-Life but he chooses to make his argument not with morals but with principles… http://www.l4l.org/library/bepro-rp.html

Enjoy …
    “My God did that politician just speak the Truth!”
    C.Moore

3. Donald October 11, 2007 at 5:59 pm #

Thank for the info James. It is time to begin thinking and praying about such a decision. May we also remain (with a very true resolve) in prayer behind our current president as he stands at the helm!

4. Robert October 12, 2007 at 5:16 am #

Hello C. Moore! I appreciated your comment and can certainly see where you’re coming from. However, I would like to point out that many people, including myself, believe that human life begins at conception. If this is indeed true, it is most definitely the responsibility of the Federal Government to protect the life of its citizens. For those who believe the way I do, it is clearly not up to “the States or The People” to decide whether or not this type of murder should be legal.

5. Matthew October 12, 2007 at 7:25 am #

Excellent topic James! We need to definitely be analyzing these republican candidates so as to be intelligent voters. I have to say I’m leaning towards Mike huckabee (though not an 100%). He seems to line up best with convictions I hold. Abortion being one of them, but also, marriage, evolution vs creationism, his desire for smaller federal government, and his perspective on the war in Iraq. He can also effectively communicate and ably defend his position on these important issues which is defenitly needed to be president. Furthermore, he has the optimism of Reagan, I believe, which is of absolute importance in being a leader in the midst of foes and obstacles.

6. Joshua October 12, 2007 at 9:09 am #

Excellent post James. I appreciate you taking the time to write. Matthew and I both commented that we were thinking such a post would be good idea – lo an behold, here it is!

I started to write a comment but am going to save that for a post on our blog (it quickly became a bit long 🙂 ). I will briefly say though, that simply having high morals does not mean one will faithfully stand for what is right under pressure. One’s foundation is key!

7. Joshua October 12, 2007 at 9:23 am #

Life is an unalienable right given to all before time began (before Roe v. Wade). It is not a right the government (federal or state) is in charge of. Yet, once a nation forsakes God, the foundation for life, marriage, family, freedom, etc is lost and the government becomes the holder of these rights which suddenly (and wrongfully) become alienable.

Hope and security are restored under the Lordship of Christ. He is the giver of all good things among which are life, libery, and true happiness.

8. Daniel October 13, 2007 at 7:26 am #

I agree Matthew. From what I’ve heard of Mike Huckabee he sounds like the leader our country desperately needs. It has been encouraging to see the steady progress he has been making recently as his campaign’s momentum accelerates! Looking forward to hearing more specifics about him and how he stands on important issues, James.

9. James October 15, 2007 at 11:01 am #

Thank you all for your comments. I agree with Donald that we must continue to pray for our current president. And Joshua, your point about having a steadfast foundation is key. Though I am not a politician, and don’t even really like politics, this is a subject I can not ignore with good conscience. We are on the battle field for our Lord!

10. L Berry October 15, 2007 at 4:21 pm #

Great post, James!
    I do agree with Mr.Huckabee..”Life begins at conception……” And also as of what Robert said about Fred Thompson, I have heard of him and I like what I’ve heard! I agree, we really do need to be praying for America and the election!
    Indeed God has blessed America, but it’s about time America blesses God!!
    PSALM 33:12-PSALM 34:1

11. Esther October 16, 2007 at 5:30 pm #

Thanks for your research James! I really need to find time to look into it as well. I’m so glad you are old enough to vote with us now!

12. Dad October 21, 2007 at 2:23 pm #

Thank you for the research James. Your work is helping us fulfill our Christian responsibilities both to “Caesar” and to God.
    I agree with the comment that it is time for America to Bless God. I am blessed when others honor my children. Think how God would be blessed if America would honor again the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son.

e.g. The motto for the American War of Independence was “No king but King Jesus!”

13. Daniel November 6, 2007 at 5:35 am #

Robert and Matt, today I discovered some sad news about Fred Thompson. I don’t know about his past stands on the issues, but this past weekend on Meet the Press he said he did not support constitutional amendments to protect life or marriage. These comments, from a senator on whom many were relying to be solidly conservative, are understandably disappointing and disheartening. My only consolation is that Huckabee is strongly in favor of both, as can be verified by his history as Governor of Arkansas.

More information on this topic at http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/263508.aspx

14. Jonathan November 7, 2007 at 10:51 am #

Thanks so much James for looking into all the politics. I can’t wait till I’m old enough to vote!